Christmas is the time of the year to spread joy and love, so why is stress a compulsory part of it? The numerous lists for presents, food preparation, and not to mention the attempt to make the holiday season as merry as it can be is exhausting and sends our stress levels into overdrive. Unless you are willing to boycott all celebrations and are planning to jump on to the next cruise to the Bahamas, you may experience some stress during the Christmas period. Here are some hefty hints to minimise the impending pressures:
- Avoid alcohol, drugs and smoking. Not only are they detrimental to your health, but they tend to exacerbate problems and stress in the long term.
- Eliminate caffeine from your diet. This is particularly important for those who suffer from anxiety as it can augment stress. Common products that have caffeine include coffee, cola products, tea and chocolate.
- Be conscious of your breathing. If you find that it is becoming shallow, take five to ten deep breaths to increase the oxygen to your lungs.
- Include exercise in your daily regime. Not only does it help in maintaining your fitness and stamina during the busy period, but it acts as a treatment to depression, anxiety and stress because it releases the natural, feel-good chemical called phenylethamine.
- Don’t be scared to ask for help. If you are hosting a Christmas gathering or party, delegate tasks such as asking guests to bring a plate.
- Write a Christmas day timetable.
- Make a list of the gifts you want to buy. Construct a list before you go shopping to avoid wandering around aimlessly for extended periods of time. Purchase them already gift-wrapped if possible.
- Prioritise your tasks. Make a list of the tasks which need urgent attention, and complete the most difficult tasks first. This will reduce any potential stress closer to the day.
To assist with keeping the energy levels up and your body relaxed, I would recommend the following products from Essentials In-A-Box:
Spray the magnesium oil all over your body in order to restore magnesium levels in your body. This assists in muscle relaxation and reducing stress levels.
This oil blend containing Orange Sweet, Fir Needle, Patchouli and Cinnamon Leaf provides an instant rise in energy levels and exudes a festive and invigorating scent to get you through the busy period.
Remember to take care of yourself and to eat well, get enough sleep and stay hydrated. Good luck everyone and Merry Christmas!
Natural Woman, Penelope Sach (2002)